This is by far one of the most comprehensive guides on how to jump higher to dunk a basketball.
The high jump is a sportsman’s unique and special character and it has applications in almost every game. So, if you want to jump higher to dunk and perfectly smash the basketball, then you are in the right place because I am going to show you the ways through which you can work on yourself to improve your jump.
The basketball goals are 10 feet high and you have to get the potential to reach 10 feet high. This is all your jump technique. To improve your jump, there are some things that you have to do and these are:
- Strength training.
- Stretching and flexibility training.
- Plyometric training.
The main body parts on which you have to work are your legs and lower body to gain enough push through which you can dunk a basketball at enough height.
So, all you need to do is to focus on this article because it has all the important things and exercises that will help you to attain a perfect momentum to get enough potential for the high jump.
The following exercises are very important to get a high jump to dunk, yet they are also very simple.
Glutes, quadriceps, and calves are the muscles that are involved in your jump and they make up the lower body. If you want to make them strong then you have to do some lunges, calves raise, and complete squats. You can make an addition to your exercise by holding dumbbells in your hands or by putting a barbell on your back.
These are the way through which you can increase the intensity of your work out. Now, I am going to show you how you can perform lunges, calve raises, and complete squats.
- For the squats, position your feet at the hip-width apart and make your toes forward. You have to go into a squat position by pushing your butts back and bending your knees and make your thighs parallel to the floor.
- For lunges, make your one foot forward and it should be a big step. You have to lower your back of the knees until it reaches very close to the floor while keeping your torso erect. Do the same with the other leg.
- For the step-ups, jump on a plyo box. Lift your leg and make your knee reaching your chest. Repeat this while switching the legs.
- For calve raises, you have to stand on your feet and make sure the distance is shoulder-width apart. Make your toes facing forward and try to stand on your toes. Do until you feel comfortable.
If you have a flexible body, then there are no chances for you to get any injury. Also, you will be able to use your body in the best way. It will also increase your explosiveness and your approach towards the ring. Stretching your muscles will able them to gain the potential.
You need to increase the flexibility of your tendons, calves, hamstrings, and hip region. It will help you to reduce the friction acting on you and also you will be able to produce more power. Following are the exercises that you can perform to make your body flexible:
- For the hamstrings stretch, stand on your feet and make a difference of about 2 to 3 inches between your both heels. Take a deep breath and as you exhale, you have to bend your waist while making your nose reach your right shin. Continue until you feel a force on your back.
- To do the calves stretch, move your face down towards the floor and support yourself with your hands and balls of the feet. Take a deep breath and you exhale, put all the pressure and force on your right foot until you feel a stretch in your calves and tendons because it is also the exercise for your tendons.
- To do the hip flexor stretch, you have to place a folded towel on the floor and go into a lunge position with your left leg forward and right leg back. You have to lower your knee to the floor and this folded towel will act as a cushion here. You have to keep your torso erect and shift all your weight onto your left leg. Feel the stretch on your right hip and thigh.
These are the exercises that are much needed for your explosiveness. These exercises generate power in your leg region and your lower body to give you the perfect push to attain a good height in a jump. It includes rim jumps, box jumps, single-leg jumps, and squat jumps. Following are the right ways to do these jumps:
- To do squat jumps, place your feet with shoulder-width apart. You have to make your body lower on the floor until your thighs become parallel with the floor. After that, you have to explode as fast as you can and jump as high as you can. Balance yourself before doing the next round.
- Single leg jumps are done in the same way and they have the same mechanism, but you have to do it with the single leg. You will not be able to go into a complete squat position but do it as much as possible. If you complete all the explode and jump exercise on a single leg, do it with the other one.
- To do complete box jumps, stand in front of a box on your feet with the shoulder-width apart. After that, take your body into a squat position and jump on the floor to the box and make sure that both feet are on the box.
- To do rim jumps, stand below a basketball rim and jump as higher as you can. It doesn’t matter if you cannot touch the rim. You just have to make sure that you are jumping again and again.
Do you wanna jump higher up to 15 inches in 8 weeks?
If you wanna increase your jumping skills to a whole new level, you can do that with Vert Shock. It has already helped over 20,000 people to increase their jumping skills around 8-15 inches in 8 weeks.
You don’t need to be highly athletic guy or really tall, with this program you will learn how to jump higher to dunk like a PRO.
Justin “Jus Fly” Darlington used this method to win the first major trophy winner at Nike World Dunk Contest, and here he is with LeBron James and Anthony Davis.
With Very Shock, all you need is 8 weeks, and you can start jumping like crazy. They are 100% real and offer a money-back guarantee for 60 days.
Plus, for the OneFitFanatic readers, they give a 50% OFF discount. No better deal on the market at the moment.
Here are some testimonials of the members in the Vert Shock program:
Conclusion: How to Jump Higher to Dunk
These are very simple and you can perform these in your home. So, what are you waiting for? Imagine yourself taking the honor and applause from the public. Start working now!
Check this Vert Shock review to find out more about the program and how it helped over 20,000 people.